DMA West Education Summit & Vendor Showcase
Charting Your Course | For your destination, your organization and yourself
Advocacy, economics, best practices, career decisions and more are part of the offerings at the upcoming Education Summit. Listen to the researchers share new data about the future of destination organizations and gain insights about travel trends and learn how to position your destination for success in the coming months and years.
Engage with destination marketers who are working together to forward their destinations through new ideas, hot trends and best practices. At the DMA West Education Summit you’ll have critical conversations, develop strategies, and gain the tools and resources you need along with engaging experiences and a Vendor Showcase full of experts.
Taught by industry experts and talented peers, you’ll keep your skill set competitive and fresh.
- Keynotes: experts inspire by sharing unique experiences, knowledge and ideas
- Workshops: in-depth practical instruction to enhance capabilities and critical skillsPeer-to-Peer Advice: knowledge and interaction with industry peers
- Best Idea Program: innovative presentations about marketing and management approaches
- Experience-the-Destination: experiential opportunities that motivate and refresh (October 2)
Hey! Don’t expect to catch up on your emails or take a snooze at the opening general session. DestinationNEXT has been instrumental in helping destination organizations adjust to continually changing political and economic realities. The new 2019 Futures Study Report represents the most comprehensive review of the many diverse factors driving the future of the global visitor economy and the role and strategies of our industry.
It takes planning!
Listen to the latest forecasts for the U.S. and global economies and identify important financial market and policy risks—Destination Marketing and Economic Shifts: How DMOs Can Plan. Gain insights on travel trends and learn how to position your destination for success in the coming months.
Charting the course
We’ll listen and learn from destination marketers as they discuss Becoming a DMMO. Change can be scary and energizing when you are spearheading your organization’s campaign to pump life back into your city.
Benefits and pitfalls
The report from the “American Resident Sentiment Towards Tourism” benchmark study examines how Americans assess the tourism industry’s growth—both its benefits to their lives as well as the potential pitfalls.
Stick around for lunch on Friday!
A favorite component of the Education Summit is the Best Idea Program Presentations and Awards Luncheon. Our award winners will share their creative and imaginative approaches to marketing their destinations and managing their organizations. Special thanks to sustaining supporter PCMA/Convene for sponsoring the luncheon.
We’ll share highlights of the workshops via email messages.
- Growing and Preserving Your Destination’s Bounty of Tourism Offerings
- The Ever-changing Workforce and Your Career
- Multicultural Marketing/Advertising for Your Destination: Being Authentic and Delivering Engaging Experiences
- Destination Sustainability: It Is All About Balance
- Punch Above Your Weight: Maximizing Your DMO’s Marketing Budget
- Revolutionizing Your Meetings/Conventions and Leisure Strategy
At the Vendor Showcase, preferred suppliers join the Education Summit to discuss advertising and publishing opportunities, research and marketing strategies, as well as multimedia and technology solutions.
You'll have time to network with industry peers at the Wednesday welcome reception, sponsored by Drozian Webworks. On Thursday evening, Visit Sacramento hosts an offsite winery dinner. Friday morning, Smart Meetings hosts a hot buffet breakfast.
Experiential Sessions in Sacramento – October 2
Don’t miss the Experience-the-Destination opportunities on Wednesday, October 2 morning/afternoon. Our hosts at Visit Sacramento invite you to explore some of the coolest, most creative ways to experience the destination, while gathering tips and strategies to develop or enhance visitor experiences in your own destination. Choose from:
- Sacramento’s Best Kept Food Secrets—Delight in Sacramento’s amazing coffee scene and specialty chocolate scene. Start your day with one of Sacramento’s most loved brunches at Cafeteria 15, don’t forget the tater tots! Learn how these purveyors incorporate Sacramento’s Farm-to-Fork philosophy into their offerings.
- Sacramento Public Arts Tour—From vibrant and diverse murals, like the Johnny Cash mural by Shepard Fairey, to a statement sculpture by renowned artist Jeff Koons, the city is filled with color and art in many forms. This tour includes a coffee and beignet break at Pachamama Coffee and a lunch stop at Lucca’s, a local farm-to-fork restaurant.
- Bike & Breweries—With the explosion of the farm-to-fork movement in the city coupled with the nationwide resurgence of craft breweries, Sacramento is a destination for beer lovers. Hop on our city’s rolling brewery tour—Sac Brew Bike—where you and the other attendees power the “bike” as you travel around on a custom pub crawl. This tour includes a lunch stop and beer flight at a local farm-to-fork restaurant.
All Experiential Sessions depart from and return to the Hyatt Regency Sacramento.
BEST IDEA PROGRAM
No Entry Fees
Those DMOs that have already submitted entries challenge their DMA West peers to enter the 2019 DMA West Best Idea Program! Enter your best ideas here.
Do you have a new brand, marketing campaign or partnership project to brag about to your peers? If so, we invite you to submit new projects your DMO has undertaken in the past two (2) years in the 2019 Best Idea Program (no entry fees). The objective of the Best Idea Program is to share innovative techniques or imaginative approaches to promoting your destination, managing your organization, providing services, and communicating with stakeholders.
Submit your best idea entry online at www.dmawest.org. Best Idea submissions are due by September 9, 2019. Awards will be presented at this year’s DMA West Education Summit in Sacramento. Representatives from selected member DMOs will be invited to present their best ideas at the conference.
The 2019 Best Idea Booklet—including all project submissions—will be uploaded to the DMA West Resource Library after the Education Summit.